Approximately 15,000 LGBTQ youth live in North Texas, yet there are minimal resources available for meeting their unique needs. Youth First is the only local LGBTQ-focused youth program that addresses the challenges LGBTQ youth face with family members, peers and fellow students.
Serving youth and young adults ages 14-22, Youth First equips them with the skills they need to lead an open life. Family ties are strengthened, peer support networks are built and mental health is supported through activities that build confidence and address the specific issues that LGBTQ teens face during their critical, formative years.
Educational Programs Engage and Inform
- Resiliency from bullying and harassment
- HIV and STD prevention
- Sexual health education
- Coming Out
- Tutoring and job readiness
- Discussion/support group for youth
- Discussion/support group for parents
- GED program
- Lifeskills and mentorship
Recreational Activities Promote Community Confidence
- Art, Book, Theater, Writing clubs
- Friday Family Dinners
- Summer Art, Theater & Leadership camps
- Summer Art show
- Open mic night
Counseling Services Strengthen Coping Skills
- LGBT focused mental health for youth in partnership with Southern Methodist University. Counseling is available for teens in either individual, group or family settings.
Support Youth First by purchasing a copy of "Rainbow Review"
Throughout the year, LGBTQ youth participating in programming at Youth First worked with skilled artists, writers, book editors, and teachers to create the works of art and writing collected within this anthology. This collection represents their unique perspective as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer or questioning youth. For many, these creative outlets not only serve as forms of personal expression, but as therapy. Several youth featured plan to continue on to be artists, writers, and teachers of the arts in order to inspire the next generation to never stop imagining a brighter future. Your purchase of this book will support the continuation of quality programming for the LGBTQ youth at Youth First in the coming year.
Click here to purchase your copy.
Get involved with Youth First
- Click here for a list of ways to help Youth First.
- Click here for listing of current Youth First programs.